Take a minute to check out a brief video of “St. Pius X Church: A Year of Service” by clicking the image below, chronicling some of the many ways our parishioners “love and serve” our neighbors in need!
How Can I Help?
All service opportunities through St. Pius X Church have been cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak until further notice.
A few of the many organizations for families and individuals to reach out on their own, many of whom are in desperate need of volunteers and/or donations at this time are listed below. Click on each organization to take you to their website.
Returnables for Scouts: our Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have been collecting the 5¢ returnable bottles and cans for service projects. They have decided to use the proceeds from the summer collection for the Sacred Heart and North Colonie CSD Food Pantries. The collection bins are near our playground in the fenced in area in front of the garage on the Stafford Street side of the church. Please feel free to drop your returnables in the collection area to support the food pantries. We ask that you place them in plastic trash bags and make sure they are tightly tied up.
United Way of the Greater Capital Region: they have created an online platform identifying volunteer opportunities with local agencies that are providing essential services and have a critical need for volunteers as a result of the current COVID-19 crisis. Both in-person and virtual opportunities are available here. Individuals can create a profile on the site and sign up for one or multiple volunteer opportunities. To ensure safety all agencies have provided a statement on the safety and sanitation policies they have put in place to protect their staff, clients and volunteers.
Face Masks Needed: St. Pius X Church would like to begin to collect face masks to have on hand for parishioners that may forget to bring one when we reconvene as a parish family. If you or anyone you know has sewing skills and would like to make some masks for us to have on hand, please contact Liz Jelstrom at (518) 462-1336 and leave a message or send an e-mail at email@example.com
The Sacred Heart Food Pantry in Albany continues to rely on our parishioners’ generosity for the folks they serve even when we can’t physically bring in our cans and food to Mass. Please consider sending in a donation to the Sacred Heart Food Pantry in one of three ways:
- Mail your checks directly to the Sacred Heart Food Pantry c/o Sr. Mary Ellen Owens, 10 Lodge Street, Albany NY 12207
Mail your checks to the Regional Food Bank (memo line: Sacred Heart Food Pantry):Regional Food Bank, 965 Albany Shaker Road, Latham NY 12110
Text to give by sending a text donation to 518-380-2439. Watch a short instructional video here (be sure that the dollar amount includes a cent amount of $.20 – which lets us know the donation is earmarked for Sacred Heart).
- The May Food Collection was a wonderful success! Stay tuned as we hope to do another possible “drive-by collection” for the pantry in July!
Prayer and Care Contact Linda Green, Pastoral Care Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to contact some of our seniors for a friendly call or to be a prayer partner. Linda would be happy to fill you in!
- St. Catherine’s Home for Children has clothing bins for clothing donations at the following locations: 30 N. Main Avenue, Albany or 195 Washington Avenue, Albany. For additional information please e-mail Nicole Vaccarino at email@example.com
- Blessingdale’s Clothing Shop (Capital City Rescue Mission) is accepting clean, usable clothing. For more information on where and when to drop off clothing items, visit this link.
- Latham-Colonie Council #3394 Knights of Columbus 328 Troy Schenectady Road Latham, NY 12110 Info: (518) 783-0572 www.lathamcoloniekofc.com
- what to drop off: used clothing, shoes, sneakers, belts, purses, linens, pillowcases, blankets, curtains, stuffed animals
- what not to drop off: furniture, electronics, household items, books, toys, garbage, pillows, rags & fabric scraps.
Thank you for your Generosity!