Discussion Questions: Week of January 20, 2019
This week’s discussion questions are based on the Gospel found at John 2:1-11
- In the Gospel this week, we see Mary interceding on behalf of the wedding couple for their needs when the wine ran out. In our own lives, Mary is there to intercede for us and bring our needs to her Son. In what ways are you seeking out the guidance and intercession of our Blessed Mother?
- Imagine Mary speaking the same words to you that she gave to the servants: “Do whatever he tells you.” If Mary spoke these words directly to you today, to what specific area in your life might the call to “do whatever he tells you” apply the most?
- Why is it so tempting to think of faith as being obedient rather than living in a growing relationship with God?
- Through the witness of the Blessed Mother and the servants, the wedding at Cana gives us some insight into what a disciple of Jesus is meant to look like. How do Mary’s actions in this story provide a model for Christian discipleship?
- One aspect of this story may be that the bride and groom (and many of the attendees of the wedding) never got to know the “wine maker” because they were too focused on the wine. What is your wine today? Maybe it’s a job you want, finances you’re praying for or a house you want to buy. Has this taken your eyes off Christ and, if so, how can you redirect your gaze?