Week of September 19, 2021
This week’s discussion questions are based on the
Second Reading found at James 3:16-4:3 and on the
Gospel found at Mark 9:30-37
- In the Second Reading, St. James says “And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.” What are some ways one might “sow in peace” and “make peace?”
- Is there a way that one’s desire to “make peace” could allow or escalate disorder? Does making peace always entail avoiding conflict?
- Is there a way you can incorporate peacemaking efforts in your daily life? How? Is there anything you would like to see society change in an effort to incorporate peace? Please explain.
- The Gospel Reading says that the Apostles were actually afraid to ask Jesus about the meaning of what He said. Have you ever been afraid to approach Jesus? Why? Were you able to overcome your fear? How did you do that?
- Have you ever asked Mary to help you approach Jesus? Do you think she could help?
- Jesus tells the disciples that in order to rank first, they should be the servants of all. Who would you serve if you could? Where do you think our church ranks in taking care of people in need? Where would you rank yourself?