Director of Music Job Opening
St. Pius X, a dynamic suburban parish of 2,100 families, seeks a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our pastoral team. Candidate must have a strong understanding of the rich tradition of Roman Catholic music and liturgy and be able to plan and coordinate music for four weekend Masses in addition to holy days and special events. The ideal candidate must be equipped to welcome, mentor, train and shape the musical sound of a diverse group of volunteer musicians including an experienced adult choir. Candidate will also provide musical support to a 650 student pre K – 8 parish school. A working knowledge and appreciation for both traditional and contemporary styles of music is required. Church has a 3 manual Wicks organ and a Steinway piano. This position requires a spirit of collaboration. A wonderful opportunity to build upon and inspire an already solid program. Minimum 5 years related experience required. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Full-time position with benefits is available August 15, 2017.
About St. Pius X – We are a large suburban Roman Catholic parish in the Diocese of Albany, NY. We are located within a three hour drive of Boston and New York City. Montreal is four hours north. As a Catholic community of faith, the Mass is central to our lives. We celebrate our Masses with beauty and dignity. We pride ourselves in having excellent music, meaningful homilies that relate to everyday life, and a warm and welcoming community.
We measure ourselves according to our mission statement: “St. Pius X is a welcoming Catholic community striving to know and love God, serve and love our neighbor and invite others into a relationship with Jesus Christ.” Any use of our time, talent or treasure must satisfy one of the criteria in our mission statement.
Additional requirements for those considering this position:
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- A collaborative approach to the position and a willingness to function as part of a larger pastoral team
- To have not only a working knowledge of, but also an appreciation for, both traditional and contemporary (evangelizing) styles of worship music
- Energetic, enthusiastic, motivated individual who has a genuine spirit of invitation and welcoming for musicians of all ages and abilities
- Must be a creative problem-solver
- Must be flexible and have experience working with youth and young adults
- Experience working with a volunteer adult choir and a knowledge of a wide range of sacred musical repertoire
- Mastery in keyboard and organ performance
- Training in music theory and basic counterpoint
- Training in vocal pedagogy and physiology for youth and adults
- Training in choral techniques and structuring of choral rehearsals
- Basic knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Publisher, in order to complete programs and worship aids (knowledge of music notation software helpful, ie, Finale, Sibelius, etc.)
- Be willing to work with the pastor and embody the same spirit of vision and pastoral approach to sustaining and growing a vibrant and inclusive music ministry program
To submit a cover letter and resume please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the contact form below to submit questions.